TITLE: LESSON NOTE ON CIVIC EDUCATION
SUBJECT: CIVIC EDUCATION
TERM: FIRST TERM
WEEK: WEEK 9
CLASS: PRIMARY 4
NAME OF TEACHER:
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: STATE GOVERNMENT
At the end of this discussion in this unit, students should be able to know:
- Meaning and composition of state government.
- The tree tiers of government
- The role of state government to the people
- Problems facing the state Government
- State the motto and their meaning
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Writing materials
- Whiteboard/ chalkboard
- Interactive poster
- Interactive video
- Lagos State Civic Education Scheme of Work.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum.
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for Primary Schools
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools for Civic Education (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Nigeria Educational Research and Development Council scheme (NERDC)
- Edudelight Civic Education TextBooks for Primary Schools
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS LESSON: the students are familiar with local government.
WORD FILE: ministries,utilities.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING STATE GOVERNMENT
What is state government? State government is the second level of government in Nigeria. It is the government that control the local government areas under the state. It is the government next in power to the federal Government. So, it is bigger than local government area. The head of a state government is the GOVERNMENT. The motto of Lagos state is Centre of Excellence.
THE THREE LEVELS (TIERS) OF GOVERNMENT IN NIGERIA
- Federal government
- State government
- Local government
PEOPLE THAT MAKES UP THE STATE GOVERNMENT
- Deputy Government.
- Secretary to the government.
- Directors – General.
- Members of the legislature.
- Members of the Judiciary.
The head of a state government is the GOVERNOR. The vice is the deputy governor, followed by commissioners that are appointed to head different ministries. The governor is elected into office by the people in this state through voting.
THE ARMS OF THE STATE GOVERNMENT
The arms of the state government area:
- The executive: this comprises of the governor, the deputy governor, the commissioners, the secretaries to the state government, the permanent secretaries, and the special advisers.
- The legislature; this comprises of members of the house of assembly.
- The judiciary; it is headed by judges and magistrates that presides over cases at law court.
THE ROLE OF THE STATE GOVERNMENT TO THE PEOPLE
The state government performs the following functions.
- Agriculture: help farmer to increase the amount of food production by providing them with fertilizers.
- Education: provides finance for education in secondary school, polytechnics, college and universities belonging to the state.
- Health: provides hospitals, clinics and maternity homes.
- Works and utilities: provides good road, water, build and maintained state road.
- Trade and industries: they provides the need for its citizens, provides jobs for people who are unemployed.
- Judiciary: they maintain laws and order through the ministry of Justice.
- Protection of lives and properties.
PROBLEMS FACING THE STATE GOVERNMENT
- Inadequate funds from the federal government to carry out their responsibilities.
- some local government refuse to manage it area
- When there is too much control from the state government to the local government.
- Failure of the state government to give what is due to the local government authority
- Religion differences
- Ethnic differences
- Political party differences
- Problems of electricity supply and bad road
HOW TO PROMOTE COOPERATION BETWEEN COOPERATION BETWEEN THE STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT
- There should be peace and order in the state.
- Ensure people in the local Government pay their taxes, levies etc.
- Political party differences should be put aside.
- state government should give what is due to the local government authority
- State Government should reduce its excessive control over the local government authorities.
- The local government should be allowed to do their duties.
- Proper management of area should be ensure by the chairman of the local Government.
- Funds allocated to the local government and state Government should be used wisely and accounted for.
- Religion differences should be put aside.
BENEFITS OF COOPERATIONBETWEEN LOCAL AND STATE GOVERNMENT
Cooperation brings about:
- Progress and development in the state
- Bring harmony within the state and the citizen of the state.
- Goals and objectives of the state and local government will be met.
DUTIES OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT
Some of the duties of the local government are:
- They grade and tar roads in their areas.
- They encourage farmers to produce more food for the people.
- They provide good primary education for children.
- They provide other social amenities like markets, water, etc.
- Provide good health care centres of the people.
- They encourage farmers to produce more food for the people.
- Provides employment opportunities for the citizens.
- Provision of public library.
- Organizing adult education programme.
- Provision of recreation center, Halls, motor parks, cemeteries.
- Provision of marriage registry.
- Birth, death and marriages records keeping of the local government.
- Provision of scholarship and awards to spectacular students.
- Payment of staff salaries and allowances.
THE IMPORTANCE OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT TO THE PEOPLE
Some of the importance of the local government are:
- To developed every part of the local government area.
- It brings government closer to the people.
- To engage people in the local community to be involved in the running of the government.
- To protect the culture of the people.
- To care for the needs of the people in the local government area like provision of health Centre, good education
- Collects taxes and rates for the development and provision of amenities.
- Maintain law and order in the local government.
- The Teacher revises the previous term lessons (LOCAL GOVERNMENT)
- Teacher leads the pupils to understand state government.
- She/he explains the roles of the state government.
- She/he explains the tiers of the state government.
- Teacher leads pupils to explain the importance of local government.
- What is local government?
- Mention three role of state government.
- List The tree tiers of government
- Mention three Problems facing the state Government
- What is the motto of Lagos state?
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: LOCAL GOVERNMENT
NEXT LESSON: THE ROLE OF STATE GOVERNMENT