TITLE: LESSON NOTE ON BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
SUBJECT: BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
TERM: FIRST TERM
THEME: YOU AND THE ENVIRONMENT
WEEK: WEEK 2
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
NAME OF TEACHER:
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
TIME: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: AIR POLLUTION
- Meaning of air pollution
- Causes/sources of Air pollution
- Effect of air pollution
- Prevention of air pollution
At the end of this lesson, Pupils should be able to:
- Define Air pollution
- Know the Causes/sources of Air pollution
- Know the Effect of Air pollution
- Mention ways of Preventing Air pollution.
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Explanatory posters/pictures showing Air pollution.
- Explanatory videos on Air pollution.
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Questions and answer
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of Work for Basic Science and Technology.
- Unified Schemes of Work for Lagos State Primary Schools (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Online Materials.
- Edudelight Basic Science and Technology for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE: the students are familiar with Water pollution.
WORD FILE: contaminates, Poisonous, ventilation.
Pollution are Waste matter that contaminates the water, air or soil. It make our environment unsafe for plant and animals. Pollutant are in solid, liquid and gaseous forms.
Air pollution is the discharge of waste matter into the air.
CAUSES AND SOURCES OF AIR POLLUTION
- Poisonous chemicals
- Cigarette and tobacco smokers
- Bush burning
- Urinating outside the toilet
- Excreting outside the toilet
- Smokes from vehicles, firewood, cooking stoves.
- Coughing without covering the mouth
- Sneezing without covering the mouth
- Fumes from factories released into the air
- Fumes from vehicle exhaust pipe
- Bad odor from rotting waste.
Effect of Air Pollution
- Lead to running nose.
- Causes skin diseases.
- Cause eye problem.
- Causes headache.
- Causes deafness
- Lead to lung diseases.
- Cause plant diseases.
- Lead to suffocation if inhaled.
- Leads to Global warming
- Causes irritation of the respiratory tract.
CONTROL OF AIR POLLUTION
- Use of water system or pit latrine instead of defecating on a bare ground.
- People should be educated on maintaining adequate ventilation in their environment.
- Encouraging the Recycling of waste.
- Industries should be located far away from where people live and take care of dirty things produced.
- Land lords should be encouraged to provide modern toilet facilities in their houses.
- Practice regular environmental sanitation.
- The government should provide Good drinking water for the people.
- The government should encourage farmers to go into the business of making fish pond.
- Government intervention through Laws and public awareness programmes.
- Government should make laws to prevent the military from using explosives.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (Water pollution).
- The Teacher introduces the lesson through question and answer (AIR POLLUTION).
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- The Teacher write the note on the board.
Learners participate in the class discussion
Teacher ask the learners to:
- Define Air pollution.
- Causes/sources of Air pollution
- List three Effect of Air pollution.
- State three ways to Prevent Air pollution.
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: POLLUTION
NEXT LESSON: AIR POLLUTION