Lesson note on Civic Education SS 2 Third Term – Edudelight.com
SCHEME OF WORK FOR CIVIC EDUCATION THIRD TERM SS TWO
- Revision of last term’s work
- Responsible Parenthood
Definition of responsible parenthood
Types of responsible parenthood
3 Responsible Parenthood (cont’d)
Roles of responsible parenthood
4 Responsible Parenthood (cont’d)
Importance of responsible parenthood in National development
(a) Responsible Citizenry (b) reduction in crime rates (c) healthy nation (d) informed citizenry (e) self-esteem
5. Traffic Regulations
i. Definition of Traffic Regulations
ii. Types of traffic regulations
6. Traffic Regulations (cont’d)
i. Roles of individual in maintaining traffic regularly
ii Governments role in maintaining traffic regular
iii. Traffic offence
7. Interpersonal Relations
i. Definition of interpersonal relations
ii. Types of interpersonal relations
iii. Essentials of interpersonal relation
iv. Stages of interpersonal relations
8 Interpersonal Relations
- Skills that promote interpersonal relations
- Factors affecting interpersonal relations
9 Inter-communal relationship
- Definition of Inter-communal relationship
- Types of Inter-communal relationships
- Importance of Inter-communal relationships
10 Inter-communal relationship (cont’d)
- Skills necessary for resolving Inter-communal conflicts
Responsible parenthood is the ability and will of parents in raising and nurturing their child from infancy into responsible adult. It is the preparedness on the party of parents to provide for their child basic things that will enable the child to be responsible in meeting his needs and those of the society in general.
Researches from different quarters has shown that the family as the nucleus of the society should nib the buds of society ills and criminal tendencies. This underscores the necessities for responsible parenting.
Responsible parenthood includes, determining the number of children for the family, spacing the children and their education so that they have the best future.
The following should be considered in preparing responsible parenthood.
i. Ability to provide physical, material and psychological needs of the children in the family.
ii. Sound knowledge at child rearing (nurturing)
iii. Ability to adjust emotionally
iv. Sound knowledge of family relationship
Responsible parenthood has to do with issues such as when to marry, when to have children and the family.
In choosing a partner the following should be considered.
- Age: – At least twenty three years for men and twenty for woman
- Personality and character
- Family background
- Economic standing
BASIC CONCEPTS OF RESPONSIBLE PARENTHOOD
It is important to deliberate on the following relevant issues in responsible parenthood:
- Emotional Maturity: – Intending parents should be emotionally prepared to cope with challenges of marriage and life in general. The health of the mother should be considered before the first pregnancy.
- Family size : – The intending parents should decide on the number of children to have in the family with respect to career plans, standard of living ……………to, societal and family resources.
- Child Spacing: – This allows the children to have enough love and affect as well as protect the mother’s health
- Preparedness Benefits: Aspiring parents who takes their time before getting into marriage would have acquired requisite element to rear their children and build a strong home. Such elements include good education, employment, and psychological maturity and so on
- What are the positive effects of responsible parent hood in Nigeria.
- What are the roles of responsible parent hood in national development
ROLES OF RESPONSIBLE PARENTS (GENERAL)
The roles of responsible parents shall be viewed from three different perspectives
- General role: The basic needs of life should be provided for the children by the parents such basic needs includes; food, clothing, and shatter and should be in the right standard house and replacing of all grown children as well as clothes for different clothes seasons.
- Caring: This includes provision of adequate health care from competent hands, addition to feeding, housing and clothing. The parents should not neglect the children at any point in time
- Formal education: Quality education – a legacy for life will shape the child for challenges of adulthood and they will be responsible citizens who are financially independent, useful to the themselves, parents and society, quality educational institution include the nursery ,primary, secondary and tertiary institution ,children have the right to know everything they want to know.
- Provision of informal education: This is a form of socializing the child, by teaching those him things like table manners, courtesy, honesty, integrity, hand-work, patriotism, loyally to the nation and other moral values.
- Emotional care: Providing love, affection, being farming disciplining when they err, watching the kind of people they keep and mentoring them to appreciate hardworking and other moral values help the children to develop good behaviors which is necessary to be responsible in the society
Roles of the responsible father in the family
- He provides the basic need for the family survival
- Protects and defends the family
- He provides money to sustain the family
- He ensures that unity, love and peace pervades the family
- He is far in chastising and disciplining
Roles of a responsible mother in the family
- Demonstrating acceptable behavior to the children through good lifestyle
- Show love and care to members of the family
- Preparing good meals for the family
- Training children on domestic chores by caring for the home, clothes and food preparation
- Supports the father in meeting the family needs
- Report to the father necessary acts of indiscipline for a form approach
- Ensures cleanliness of the home
- Describe responsible parenthood.
- Explain the legal duties of responsible parenthood.
IMPORTANCE OF RESPONSIBLE PARENTHOOD TO NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Responsible parenting are affords our national development the following benefits:
- It helps in reducing crime rate: – Good upbringing of children will make them law abiding eschew crimes and violence
- It helps in raising responsible future leaders: – It instills right leadership values in children would be resourceful managers, good politicians and policy makes in future
- It helps in raising good citizens: – It brings good citizen who would be reliable and responsible
- Healthy nation: – It provides dependable citizens for the nation who are ready to work for our progress and development
- It boots good image abroad
- It reduces poverty
- Proper upbringing of children in the family, can change socio-political, economic and attitude in Nigerian society. Discuss
Traffic regulations are driving laws put in place by the government to regulate or control the attitude of all road users to achieve an orderly and free flow of traffic. It is a body of rules and regulations made by the government to guide and keep safe the road users. It is very important that government put in place these laws with punitive measures for road users.
The federal military government in cognizance of this established THE FEDERAL ROAD SAFETY COMMISSION (FRSC) in February 1988 through decree US of 1988 to prevent road accidents and loss of lives on public road throughout Nigeria.
TRAFFIC REGULATIONS IN NIGERIA
In Nigeria road users include pedestrians, motorcyclists, private motorist and passengers, drivers of trucks and commercial vehicles.
They are expected to observer some traffic regulations for their safety and other roads users’.
SOME OF SUCH TRAFFIC REGULATION ARE STATED BELOW:
- Motorists should never drink alcohol before and while driving
- Motorcyclist should wear crash helmet and should not caring more than one passenger
- Motorists and motorcyclists should not over speed
- Motorist and motorcyclist should make or receive calls
- They should strictly obey road sign
- Motorists should use seat bell at all things
- Pedestrians should use pedestrian bridges, road pavement or zebra crossing where available
- Pedestrians should look left. Right and left again before crossing
- They (pedestrian) should walk opposite the traffic than backing it when walking
TRAFFIC CONTROL DEVICES
These are electronic or non-electronic materials for controlling the free movement of vehicles and ensure safety use of road by everyone. They include traffic light road signs and boards.
- Traffic lights or lamp-stop lights or signal lights are signaling devices positioned a road intersection, pedestrian across and other locations to control current traffic. Traffic lights were first installation done 1868 they are now in use in most cities and town around the world nowadays. They alternate the right way of road users by displaying rights of standard colors (Red, Yellow/amber and green). The colors are universal code to enable color bling road users to be able to understand. The green light allows the traffic to proceed in devoted, the yellow/amber light implies incoming vehicle should be prepared to stop before the interaction while the red light implies oncoming vehicles should stop or are prohibited from proceeding
- Traffic signals/ Road Sign: – Traffic signs give drivers and other road users in formations and warning depending on the shape, color and placement of the sign. Essentially a road sign must meet four requirements.
- Fulfill a need
- Command attention (bold enough for identification)
- Give adequate time for proper response
CLASSIFICATION OF ROAD SIGNS
Road signs can be classified into;
- Regulatory Signs: – These signs are often circular in shape and can further be divided into two;
- Mandatory regulatory sign: – These signs are usually with blue circle. Examples are diversion signs, round about signs
- Prohibitive regulatory signs: – These are signs with red and yellow circles. Examples include; stop sign and no right turn signs and u -turn signs
- Informative Signs: – These signs give information to road users. They are always rectangular in shape. Examples include; hospitals signs, advanced direction sign school signs and so on.
MINIMAL SPEED NO U-TURN
NO STOPPING U-TURN
NO PARKING BEND
NO LEFT TURN TWO WAY TRAFFIC AHEAD
CROSSING PART ROUND ABOUT
DOUBLE BEND SERIES OF BEND
SLOW DOWN COUNCIL BUS STOP
TURN RIGHT NO HAWKING
MAN AT WORK MOTORCYCLE NOT ALLOW
- What are traffic signs?
- Explain traffic regulations.
- Describe four traffic signs with their symbols.
- Explain traffic regulations.
- Define road signs and symbols.
ROLE OF INDIVIDUALS IN MAINTAINING A TRAFFIC REGULATIONS
1. Reading high way code frequently: Citizens should acquaint themselves with Nigerian Highway code. It will equip them to all road signs and their meaning
2. Learn to observe road signs: – They should always observe road signs to make the road safe and reduce traffic jam in our cities
3. Constantly ensure that vehicles are road worthy: – vehicles owners should ensure that vehicles are good order and road worthy before putting them to use. All lights on the vehicle must be working perfectly.
4. Assist in controlling traffic when necessary: – Individuals should volunteer to control traffic when the need arises and as well join special marshal of federal road safety crops to be trained in traffic control.
5. Obey traffic warden: – Motorists and motorcyclist must always obey traffic warden to avoid traffic jams and ensure safely on the road.
ROLES OF GOVERNMENT IN MAINTAINING TRAFFIC REGULATIONS
1. Ensuring that traffic lights are erected in strategic location: The government in its economy should sight functioning traffic lights and different junctions and inter-sections
2. Proper construction of roads with relevant roads signs: To avoid accidents, all road signs must be installed conspicuously in appropriate places like sharp corners, valleys, hills, roundabouts and so on
3. Proper functioning of federal road safety commission: Government should give adequate support to the federal road safety commission for their effective functioning
4. Severe punishment of traffic offenders: – People which drink and drive who make calls while driving or do not observe traffic lights and so on should be severely punished.
5. Enactment of Law: – The national assembly should make more laws to further empower traffic managers and management authorities to prosecute those who break traffic laws
6. Stop indiscriminate issuance of driver’s license: – Drivers must go through rigorous training or test by appropriate authorities issuing d drivers license before issuing them drivers license.
7. Regular public enlightenment on traffic regulations and traffic sign: – Educating the masses on traffic regulations and signs through the media should be done by the appropriate authorities like FRSC and vehicle inspection office.
- It is an offence to drive a vehicle without valid vehicle license or identification mark being disobeyed.
- It is an offence to disobey traffic light signals
- It is an office to use a road under construction
- It is an office to cover umber plates at the front and rear sides of the vehicle
- It is an offence to smoke or eat while driving
- It is an offence to drive under 18 years of age
- It is an offence to travel in the bed of a picking truck by and person
- It is an offence to drive with one hand
- It is an offence to drive a vehicle with projected load
- It is an offence to fail to move over the slow lane to free up traffic flow
- It is an offence to drive a vehicle that is mechanically deficit
- It is an offence to fail to use head lights during in dement weatherEE
- It is an offence to provide incorrect address under the law
- It is offence to use your GSM phone while driving
- It is an offence to load a vehicle above the weigh or number of passengers required by law
- It is an offence to use safety belts while driving
- It is offence to assault a Marsha on duty
- It is an offence to drive a vehicle without fire extinguisher
- It is an offence to remove firm a vehicle the sign no not move
- It is an offence to drive a vehicle or motorcycle with forged vehicle papers
- Explain traffic offences.
- State two each of individual’s role and government’s role in maintaining traffic regulations.
Man according to Aristotle is oreganos or social being whose survival and unceasing existence rely on this mutual interaction or relationships with other fellow beings like him.
Therefore to be social is to be a member of a bigger more ideal network of the society concerned with the development of mutual understanding and harmonies relationship.
Assembling the foregoing interpersonal relationship can be the interaction between two or more people in the society in a bid to fulfill one or more needs.
Interpersonal relationship can be opened secret or annoying (chatting on the internet)
Essential of inter-personal relations vital in building interpersonal relations are:
- Sharing of common goals: – Persons interpersonal relationship should have common goals, objectives and interests
- Respect for each other’s view
- Healthy inter-dependence
- Transparency: – There must be honesty, sincerely and trust among them
STAGES OF INTERPERSONAL RELATIONSHIP
George lavender a renowned socio psychologist explained five stages of interpersonal relations which are;
i. Acquaintance stage: – This starts at the point when two people meet at church, social gathering, stadium, and club house
ii. Build up stage: – Elements of growth, trust and confidence appreciate in each other
iii. Continuation stage: – There is a deeper level of trust confidence and closeness. The passion and feeling each other enlarges
iv. Decelerations: – The love, trust and passion for each other begins to ware
v. Terminating stage: – Relationship can come to an end clue to the death of partner, devoice and separation
TYPES OF INTERPERSONAL RELATION
i. Relationship between man and a woman: – This is usually between unmarried men and woman and Often leads to marriage especially when formalin
ii. Relationship between man and man: – This type of relationship is between to people attracted each equally as the share common interest, religion, sport profession and so on
iii. Relationship between woman and woman
- What is inter – personal relationship ?
- Enumerate two stages of inter – personal relationships.
Inter-communal relationship is a relationship that occurs between two or more commodity. The outbreak of communal conflicts and insurgencies makes it necessary to put certain measures in place. To address a social problem, It is natural for individual differences to manifest while we interact one with another and then it will be colossal when mechanisms are not in place to prevent such situations. Peaceful and healthy inter-communal relationship is therefore necessary in sustaining her society.
IMPORTANCE OF INTER-COMMUNAL RELATIONSHIP
A positive communal relationship is important in the following ways: –
- It will enhance productivity and eventually promote total development of a community.
- Promotes co-operation and inter-tribal marriages: – This is shown among different communities giving their children’s hand in marriage.
- It enhances government programs and he success of policies when there are no communal conflict: – Government programs and policies can be implemented. The overall effect of this is the improvement in the welfare of the people.
- It enhances economic progress good inter communal relationship will create an atmosphere for trade and business in the entire country. Also foreign investor would like to invest in a peaceful region in the country. This in turn will increase the level of economic and industrial activities in the country.
- It allows for cross fertilization of culture and ideas: – This can further boost completion
- Explain inter-communal relationship.
- State three importance of inter – communal relationship.
SKILLS FOR RESOLVING INTER-COMMUNAL CONFLICTS
- Adequate communication: means a stich in time saves nine
- Compromise: Means no victor no vanquished, leaving some of your interest for peace to reign
- Compensation: When conflicts come up there is bound to be damages of properties and loss of lives by compensation we mean the part that actually inflicted most injury on the weaker side make reparations
- Dialogue: When two communities at war are seeking for peace and harmony, they can come together in a conference to discuss solutions to the conflicts and put some compromise in place
- Special peace keeping task force: In order to achieve a truce. The government set up special peace keeping task forces which are composed of the military that is the air force, navy, army, and police to prevent further destruction of lives and properties before conference is made.
WAYS OF PROMOTING INTER-COMMUNAL RELATIONSHIP
- Proper utilization of resources
- Polities without tribalism: Political leaders should not use their good offices to cause conflict between two communities as a result of their tribalistic tendencies
- Protection of human rights.
- Describe three skills necessary for resolving inter – communal conflicts.
- Explain inter – communal relationships.